Monday, August 26, 2013

Snow Days: Not Just For Kids



As if it weren't obvious, teacher's pray for snow days too. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "You won't be saying that in June..." Actually, yes I will. I will shout it loud and proud that I needed the snow day way back in January so as not to harm myself or someone else. By June, I don't give a rat's rear end what the kids are doing. Sure, sweat will be pooling in unmentionable places as I correct whatever b.s. exam I've created or monitor whatever movie I'm showing, but no one will have lost a life or a limb because I avoided going postal in January.
The teacher who says that they always plan as if they are having school is not being honest. Just like any other superstition or moment where we think we control the universe in some way, teachers actively believe they have these powers. My power was the book bag, which was constantly 5-15 lbs of paper because I am an English teacher and I procrastinated with correcting. At the hint of a serious storm, which I monitored extensively throughout the day via Boston.com, I would begin a dialogue with myself. "If you leave the bag, you won't have school. It's Murphy's Law that when I have a whole day to correct (which I never used for correcting) I will have left my excessively large pile of papers at school. Damn. If you take the bag, you won't correct anyway and you'll still have school. Chance it! Take a risk for God's sake! Leave the bag!"
All day, off and on, between conferring with other teachers and telling the kids we would have school "so bring your books home", my dialogue would continue. "If you aren't going to correct, why even bother lugging it home? Your shoulder has been bothering you remember, and you'll just leave it in the car anyway! No one is going to break into this room and steal the rank book or the cheap, old laptop they gave you to keep safe in a desk that has no key."
Sometimes it actually worked. When it doesn't and you dragged yourself into school, dampened and flat haired, you found that the kids who need to be there the most were not there. Why would they be? It's snowing! These are the same kids with the same parents who demand their kid's IEP be followed to a t, but refuse to enforce homework or attendance rules. As a matter of fact, these are the kids who don't even need the stinkin' IEP. It was just easier to fight for the school to ease up on their lazy angel than put forth any effort helping them at home... but I digress.
What these kids need is my Auntie Joyce. Auntie Joyce lived with my three cousins in Arlington Heights, aptly named for the hills the homes were situated upon. My cousin Paul swore it was a snow day. My aunt didn't believe him. He swore up and down that they had no school. No dice, he was going. My aunt sent him, up a hill, struggling through unplowed side walks and streets, to school. He went alright and when he got there the doors were locked. As if it wasn't bad enough that he was up at an ungodly hour on a snow day and was forced to go to school because his mother didn't believe him, HE HAD TO WALK BACK HOME! No cell phone for calling or texting kids, just pure, old fashioned I can't &%$*#$ believe this turn around and go back the way you painstakingly came.
This a dilemma when deciding if I want to leave teaching or not...the hidden perks like snow days. The time I "couldn't get my car out" when working at a financial services company wasn't met with the same snow day enthusiasm as I'd experienced as a teacher. There are days I want to do many self depricating acts while teaching, but truly, nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a snow day. The only thing that does is a second snow day immediately following the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment